Guatemala GT Facts Info Stuff
World Country Facts:
Guatemala Facts Info Stuff (GT):
Guatemala Latitude Facts: 14.7995 and Guatemala Longitude Facts: -90.613
Guatemala Regions are: Alta Verapaz Baja Verapaz Chimaltenango Chiquimula El Progreso Escuintla Guatemala Huehuetenango Izabal Jalapa Jutiapa Peten Quetzaltenango Quiche Retalhuleu Sacatepequez San Marcos Santa Rosa Solola Suchitepequez Totonicapan Zacapa
Various World Country Facts:
- Solomon Islands Category: Introduction - Background: The UK established a protectorate over the Solomon Islands in the 1890s. Some of the bitterest fighting of World War II occurred on this archipelago. Self-government was achieved in 1976 and independence two years later. Ethnic violence, government malfeasance, and endemic crime have undermined stability and civil society. In June 2003, then Prime Minister Sir Allan KEMAKEZA sought the assistance of Australia in reestablishing law and order; the following month, an Australian-led multinational force arrived to restore peace and disarm ethnic militias. The Regional Assistance Mission to the Solomon Islands (RAMSI) has generally been effective in restoring law and order and rebuilding government institutions.
- Johnston Atoll Category: Introduction - Background: Both the US and the Kingdom of Hawaii annexed Johnston Atoll in 1858, but it was the US that mined the guano deposits until the late 1880s. Johnston Island and Sand Island were designated wildlife refuges in 1926. The US Navy took over the atoll in 1934, and subsequently the US Air Force assumed control in 1948. The site was used for high-altitude nuclear tests in the 1950s and 1960s, and until late in 2000 the atoll was maintained as a storage and disposal site for chemical weapons. Munitions destruction is now complete. Cleanup and closure of the facility ended in May 2005.
- Brazil Category: Government - Political pressure groups and leaders: Landless Workers' Movement or MST; other: labor unions and federations; large farmers' associations; religious groups including evangelical Christian churches and the Catholic Church
- Denmark Category: Economy - Oil - imports (bbl/day): 164,000 bbl/day (2006 estimate)
- Argentina Category: People - HIV/AIDS - adult prevalence rate (%): 0.7% (2001 estimate)