Burkina Faso BF Facts Info Stuff
World Country Facts:
Burkina Faso Facts Info Stuff (BF):
Burkina Faso Latitude Facts: 12.47 and Burkina Faso Longitude Facts: -1.987
Various World Country Facts:
- Chile Category: Introduction - Background: Prior to the coming of the Spanish in the 16th century, northern Chile was under Inca rule while Araucanian Indians (also known as Mapuches) inhabited central and southern Chile. Although Chile declared its independence in 1810, decisive victory over the Spanish was not achieved until 1818. In the War of the Pacific (1879-83), Chile defeated Peru and Bolivia and won its present northern regions. It was not until the 1880s that the Araucanian Indians were completely subjugated. A three-year-old Marxist government of Salvador ALLENDE was overthrown in 1973 by a military coup led by Augusto PINOCHET, who ruled until a freely elected president was installed in 1990. Sound economic policies, maintained consistently since the 1980s, have contributed to steady growth, reduced poverty rates by over half, and have helped secure the country's commitment to democratic and representative government. Chile has increasingly assumed regional and international leadership roles befitting its status as a stable, democratic nation.
- Cameroon Category: People - Education expenditures (% of GDP): 3.3% of GDP (2006)
- Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas) Category: Introduction - Background: Although first sighted by an English navigator in 1592, the first landing (English) did not occur until almost a century later in 1690, and the first settlement (French) was not established until 1764. The colony was turned over to Spain two years later and the islands have since been the subject of a territorial dispute, first between Britain and Spain, then between Britain and Argentina. The UK asserted its claim to the islands by establishing a naval garrison there in 1833. Argentina invaded the islands on 2 April 1982. The British responded with an expeditionary force that landed seven weeks later and after fierce fighting forced an Argentine surrender on 14 June 1982.
- Germany Category: Communications - Internet country code: .de
- Bosnia and Herzegovina Category: Geography - Land boundaries (km): total: 1,538 km; border countries: Croatia 932 km, Montenegro 249 km, Serbia 357 km